Friday, February 15, 2013

Dreamless Dream

Dreams I chased over open sea
Never to find what was waiting for me
Only in jest did I search, yet, still
Perhaps only to find my forgotten will
A boy at best, a man never to be
All because I followed the dreamless dream
Friends forgotten, family I've lost
My endeavor, stolen, at a cheap cost
A riddle, a rhyme, a whiskey or two
Till I was drunk, I knew not what to do
A partridge, be merry, I follow my dream
Hoping to find what was waiting for me
A fortune? maybe... a life lived in pleasure?
Something to hold? something to treasure?
A dreamless dream, aye, that be the one
So faintly I see it in the setting sun
Across the miles, along the way
I search by night, I search by day
Until cold cold morning did I awake
A fear in my eye, my body did shake
My dream was clear now, I realized why
I'd followed a dream that twas only a lie
My fortune at home, a man I would be
If I had found what was waiting for me
Now I too old to be young man and free
All because I followed a dreamless dream

No comments: